Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Virginia Beach, VA: Recently separated (7 miles away) still

married. She wants to move...
Virginia Beach, VA: Recently separated (7 miles away) still married. She wants to move to Texas with our son. Can she legally take him without my consent
3/1/2013
Ellen, Lawyer

FiveStarLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

FiveStarLaw :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

FiveStarLaw :

Has there been any court involvement to date

FiveStarLaw :

Are you legally separated or just living apart?

FiveStarLaw :

Are you legally separated?

Customer:

No. We are just living apart.

FiveStarLaw :

Thank you for your information

FiveStarLaw :

one moment while I type my response

FiveStarLaw :

When there is not a court order in effect, either parent has the right to travel or relocate with the child. The consent of the other parent is not required.

FiveStarLaw :

To prevent your wife from moving with your son, you will need to obtain a court order and/or physical possession of your son

FiveStarLaw :

If it is possible to obtain physical possession of your son without a court order, you may consider doing so and keeping him in your possession until you have obtained a court order regarding his custody

Customer:

Is this the same as filling for divorce?

FiveStarLaw :

A custody order can be issued as part of the divorce or separation proceeding

Customer:

Its been a month since I moved out, I see him daily. Just wasnt ready to pay for a divorce yet.

FiveStarLaw :

You may want to consider not returning your son to his mother after your next visit. Consider immediately retaining counsel to obtain an emergency order as part of a separation action if you're not yet ready for divorce

Customer:

Does it matter who files first?

FiveStarLaw :

no –

Customer:

Please another question?

FiveStarLaw :

It is my pleasure to work with you. You can leave a positive rating for this discussion and start your new question with "For FiveStarLaw". You may want to consider obtaining a subscription to the site so that you are not charged for each question

Customer:

Let me know when I reach my limit. What is a custody decree?

Customer:

is it part of the seperation proceeding?

FiveStarLaw :

A custody order is the same thing as a custody decree

Customer:

Ok.

Customer:

ok thanks

FiveStarLaw :

yes. The Court does not involve itself in marital disputes unless a proceeding is filed with the court – in this case you would need to file a separation or a divorce in order to obtain a custody order

Customer:

just wanted to know what i can do before all of the divorce proceedings

FiveStarLaw :

Unfortunately without a court order your only remedy is to maintain physical possession of your son

Customer:

Got it. Thank you for your time.

FiveStarLaw :

It has been my pleasure to work with you

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.

FiveStarLaw :

If you would take a moment to click the rating tab to rate my work, I would appreciate it. My goal is EXCELLENT and I hope your rating reflects that. Please let me know if you experience any difficulty using the rating system as the site does not give me credit for my work unless a favorable rating registers.

Customer:

how do i find you?

FiveStarLaw :

simply start your question with "For FiveStarLaw"

Customer:

thanks...cheers

Ellen, Lawyer
Ellen, Lawyer