How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12405
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does a U.S citizen and a foreigner (the foreigner already

This answer was rated:

What does a U.S citizen and a foreigner (the foreigner already has a visa to enter the U.S.) need to do to be legally married in the U.S.?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

A US Citizen is free to marry a foreigner inside the US. The parties do not need special permission to do so. They may apply for a marriage license and marry under state law. Immigration law is not a factor.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate me positively so that I receive credit for my efforts.

Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But what info would be needed? Would the foreigner then legally be able to stay in the U.S.? What kind of lawyer could legally answer these questions?

Hi again.

You're asking about two entirely separate issues.

Your first question was about marrying in the US. Marriages are determined by state law and have nothing to do with immigration. The state does not care about immigration, and allows foreigners to marry. The foreigner would likely need a birth certificate, just as a citizen would need, but so long as the foreigner can provide the required documents, then the marriage will be allowed and it will be legal. The foreigner's immigration status is irrelevant.

Your question about the foreigner legally being able to stay in the US is completely separate because that is not a marriage question. It is an immigration question. However, immigration law generally allows spouses of citizens to get green cards, assuming there are no issues of marriage fraud (i.e., marrying for the green card). In any event, if the couple is looking for an attorney to deal with the application, then they should hire an immigration attorney.

I hope that helps. Please remember to rate me positively. Or if you need more clarification, feel free to let me know and I'll be glad to continue to help.
TJ, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. If you answered the first time with the first paragraph of the second time you answered, I would not have replied to you.


Thank you very much for your time!


You're quite welcome. Sorry for any confusion. Thank you for using our service!