How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13881
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Texas. I have been married and I know that I have

This answer was rated:

I live in Texas. I have been married and I know that I have made a mistake to the extent, I feel divorce is not appropriate and an anullment would be more appropriate.
Thank you for your question.

In Texas, there are very limited grounds upon which an annulment may actually be granted. You can see them here:

Essentially, in order to get an annulment, you must be able to meet one of the following:

1) You were under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs at the time of the marriage and have not lived with the other party since the effects of the alcohol drugs wore off;

2) Either party was impotent, you did not know of this at the time of marriage, and have not lived with the party since discovering this;

3) The other party used fraud, duress or force to induce you to marry them, and you have not lived with your spouse since learning of the fraud or since getting away from the duress or use of force;

4) You did not possess the mental capacity to enter into the marriage;

5) The other party concealed they were divorced within 30 days preceding the marriage and you did not know this at the time of marriage, and once you learned this information, you have not lived with your spouse; or

6) The marriage took place within 72 hours of the issuance of the marriage license, in violation of Section 2.204 of the Texas Code.

If you do not meet one of these factors, then you would have to file for a divorce instead.
RobertJDFL and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no.6 is true but we married in fort lauderdale but we are texas residents



Then #6 would not apply, because you married in Florida, which has different marriage requirements.