How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118237
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I had a full custody evaluation done and my ex fiance

This answer was rated:

My ex and I had a full custody evaluation done and my ex fiance dropped going for full custody and supervised visitation after the conclusion of the evaluation came back that he didn't feel that she should have these rights. I had a terrible attorney who did not work with the other one in trying to resolve the simple matters of picking a safe haven counselor, choosing a PC, and other matters ordered by the evaluator, that should have been worked out before court. Now I am unemployed, got dinged with paying my own and my ex Fiance's attorney's fees. Now we find out that the safe haven counselor will not take our insurance and is 500 to start each person, plus 500 each person to start with the PC. I am UN ABLE to pay. What do I do from here? Can the judge take my son away from me because I am UN ABLE to pay this huge fee?
I am sorry to hear this has happened to you, it puts you in a bad situation. The only real recourse you have is to file a motion in court for the court to reconsider the fees and ask them to waive the fees for the counselor and PC based on your significant change in financial circumstances. If the court refuses to waive the fees, I am afraid that they could take your custody away for failure to comply with the court orders sadly. Thus, if the court denies your waiver, I am afraid you need to do what you can to find someone to help you pay these fees to comply or locate a counselor and PC who will work with you and negotiate a payment plan for their fees.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your honesty... If I file an order to change my child support under the new circumstances, can the judge, who does not like me at all, deny the motion? Say she just does not like me and wants to make my life hard, though I was not able to go back to my last job (which is in writing and she has seen), I am getting unemployment (whcih is a fact and also in writing?

The child support is based on income of the parents and is set by state guidelines and law that the judge has to follow. One of the grounds for modifying and lowering support is a significant change in financial circumstances and loss of employment is such a significant change. You will have to prove to the judge that you are making reasonable efforts to find new employment and have not yet been able to do so and then under the state guidelines this is grounds to reduce the support based on your new income with unemployment.