xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience:  20 yrs exp. in divorce, custody, visitation & support .
14261217

I am living in Rapid City South Dakota with my fiance. We

I am living in Rapid City South Dakota with my fiance. We have never been legally married and he has become abusive toward me. I want to leave him, but I am afraid that South Dakota is a common law state. Can you please help me?
Thank you for using JustAnswer.com It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Are you asking if common law marriages are legal in South Dakota?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, I am asking if common law marriages are legal in SD.

Hi CeCe,

A common law marriage is one by agreement of the two parties without a formal ceremony.

South Dakota does not recognize a common law marriage, unless it was consummated prior to 1959.

If you are in an abusive relationship, you need to leave. Your SAFETY MUST BE YOUR FIRST CONSIDERATION!

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it as "excellent" or in another positive manner. That is the only way that I can get credit for answering the question.

Thank you for your business!

XavierJD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank-you so much for your advice.

Hi CeCe,

You are VERY welcome. Please be safe.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it as "excellent" or in another positive manner. That is the only way that I can get credit for answering the question.

Thank you for your business!

xavierjd

Hi

Thank you so much for the "excellent service" rating! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can request me as the expert.

Thanks again,

xavierjd