How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi my husband daughter turned 18 Nov so chilsupport ended.

Customer Question

hi my husband daughter turned 18 Nov so chilsupport ended. Now he has court date extend it till June will attending highschool. Court not till March can he call his lawyer get childsupprt taken out now. Also in summer she was living out state her mother was in IL. Also they were never married so after June will child support end. And can his lawyer go not him because its 3 hours away? We live in lovely state IL. Can he get childsupport taken out now? SO dont have to go to court? Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
What does his child support order from the court say as to when the support was to end?
Did he just stop paying or did the court terminate the support?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The court ended it on childsupport paper said end Nov becuase she 18. And yes state stop taking money out of his paycheck after her birthday. So yes court not husband

Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - He can ask that the support order be extended until June if he wishes. I see no reason why he would have to go to court if he agrees to the extension since he was not in contempt of court in stopping the payments. Had he stopped them and not the court then he could be subject to contempt but in this case it was the court who ended the payments. He can just tell his lawyer he will agree to resume the payments but make certain that the agreement is only until June and no longer.

Related Family Law Questions