How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29802
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I have 2 daughters ages 10 n 11 they havent seen their

This answer was rated:

Hi I have 2 daughters ages 10 n 11 they haven't seen their father since they were 2 and 3 I am not married. I would like to termite his rights. I currently have sole n legal custody n I did change their names those were done years ago.he currently lives in flordia. How can I do this. I don't want him to walk in n out of their lives. As he pleases. It's not fair to my girls. They are honor roll n they have stability with me. I want to be over with him. Please help of u can

Thank u


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Does he pay any child support?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Lucy he has never paid a dime for my girls
Thank you. I'm sorry to hear that.

There are two types of termination - voluntary and involuntary. If you know where he is located, you could ask him to sign a document agreeing to relinquish all rights to the children. That's fairly simple, although it's probably a good idea to have a lawyer write the paperwork. However, that does require cooperation, which isn't always easy to get.

In Pennsylvania, a parent can bring a petition for involuntary termination of parental rights where a parent has refused or failed to perform parental duties for at least six months prior to the filing of the petition. Since he is not paying child support and does not spend time with them, it sounds as if you can prove that.

This unfortunately isn't the type of situation that is so common that courts publish free forms that can be filed. You have the option of hiring a lawyer to file the papers for you, to make sure that there are no problems down the road, or you can visit a law library to get a book that will show you what the petition should look like. You may also want to check sites such as or The petition is filed in the family court in the county where you live with the girls. You do have to serve notice on the father so he can appear and try to avoid having his rights terminated. It sounds like he's not likely to do that.

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can do this even though i am not married. I have supported the girls by myself all this time. I also only have a phone number for him no address. What would u charge to do this ?? I would like done ASAP. I no it can't be done overnight . But honestly he starting SHIT saying he wants to c them n after all the years that went by y now???? Please help I want him out of my life. Would it also b a guarantee that I could terminate.
Yes, you can seek to have his rights terminated for no contact/no support even if you are not married. If you have his phone number, the easiest thing to do is ask for his address so that he can be served. If he is asking to see the children, you could also arrange a meeting and have someone hand him the papers (whether the girls are there or not). If you make reasonable efforts to serve him with notice of the lawsuit, and have no way to do so, you'll be allowed to publish notice in the local newspaper and proceed with the case after a couple of weeks pass.

We unfortunately are not able to represent customers. Attorney prices vary greatly based on things like firm size, experience, geographical location, etc. The best way to get an idea of the cost is to call a few local attorneys and ask them for an estimate.

There are unfortunately no guarantees in court. If he popped up, expressed remorse, convinced the judge that he wanted a relationship with his children, and asked for another chance, some judges would give it to him - but only if he paid child support. The fact that he's back and asking for a chance would weigh in his favor, because public policy supports a situation where children have a relationship with their father. But the judge will also consider many, many years of total indifference to the children.
Lucy, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions