How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my boyfriend and I have lived together for 10 years we own

This answer was rated:

my boyfriend and I have lived together for 10 years we own a house together and split the payment we are splitting up I want half the equity he can have the house what paperwork do I need legal to get payments from him over a period of time? he is in agreement
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions.

I assume that there is a mortgage on the property. Can he refinance in his name only? If so could he refinance for enough to buy you out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no he has a chapter 13 that he is paying on I just want to have a legal form that states after he has paid me 25000 i will sign a quick claim deed i only want 400 dollar a month payments so it will take him years to pay me off

Since you are on the mortgage you need to realize that you will be responsible if he quits paying. Further you will not be able to get a mortgage of your own on another place.

What you are wanting is a contract for the sale of real estate. I would strongly urge you to have it drafted by a local attorney. Here is a referral site.

Here is a sample form

lwpat and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you