How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a Filipina citizen and got married in Orange County to an

This answer was rated:

Im a Filipina citizen and got married in Orange County to an American citizen. My husband was first married to her ex wife here in the philippines and obtained their divorce while still immigrants of US. My marriage to my husband is not recognized here in the Philippines as per Philippine law. Can he divorce his ex wife again since they are now both US citizen,so that our marriage abroad can now be recognized?? Although,record will show in theUS that he is now married again? Can he RE FILE their divorce? If there is such thing??
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Was your husband legally divorced from his first wife in the USA?

Why is your marriage to your husband not recognized in Philippines?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Mr. Alex. Yes he was legally divorced fr his exwife. According to Phil Law, if Filipino immigrants divorced abroad they are still considered Married in the Phil.unless one of them, (the one who files is an American citizen) the time they obtained their divorce. Since they are now both citizen,can He file again??? Presently, he is now married to me. We got married In Orange County while I was staying there for some days only. I'm here in the Phil now.
Thank you for your follow up.

Under the US law, your husband is considered legally divorced to his first wife and now legally married to you and your husband cannot file for another divorce to his ex-wife.

For what purposes are your trying to get your marriage recognized under the Filipino law?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like it recognized sinced I live in the Philippines now. Presently, he is still considered married here in the Philippines with his ex wife And i I remain single and couldnt use his surname. I guess he really needs to annul his marriage here.
Thank you for your follow up.

That is correct. The only way to approach this issue is for your husband to annul his marriage to his first wife and then he can remarry you according to the law of Phillipines, as under US law which most countries recognize, you are legally married to your husband and he is legally divorce from his first wife.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you mr. Alex Esquire for all your informations.Yes,good luck to me.:)

Thank you and please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Alex J. Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you