Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Hello Im a 16 year old female and Im trying to figure out

Hello I'm a 16 year...
Hello I'm a 16 year old female and I'm trying to figure out to to legally change my last name to my mothers maiden name. I know my father will refuse to sign any paper work and will refuse to give any leeway what do i do and how?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2013
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Do both of your parents have legal custody of you?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX but my mother has prime custodoy and quite recently my father moved into a one bedroom apartment with his wife so I have not been going over there.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, under California law there would be only 3 ways for you to legally change your last name and here they are:

1) With the written permission of both custodial parents and it is one of the parents who would have to file a petition on behalf of the minor child to legally change the last name.

2) By becoming legally emancipated, which would mean that your would have to file a petition with the court and prove that you are completely emancipated from your parents and have your own income, live separately from your parents and able to pay for your rent and living expenses yourself with the money that you earn and without any help from parents or anyone else.

3) Wait until you turn 18 and then you can proceed as an adult and file a petition with the local court for legal name change.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law