sfbradley86
sfbradley86, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Member of the Florida Bar
72597946

I want to quash a subpoena to appear as a witness & provide

I want to quash a subpoena to appear as a witness & provide personal financial documents. This is being requested by my girlfriends ex-husband. He is wanting to change their financial arrangement and is claiming that I now support her which is not true. We do not have any joint accounts or have comingled any assets. I believe I have a right to personal privacy and that he should not have any legal right to my personal finances. How do I do this?

sfbradley86 :

Thank you for your question!

sfbradley86 :

Please let me assist you. First of all, are you two living together?

sfbradley86 :

If you two are living together, it could be argued that you are financially supporting her, at least partially.

sfbradley86 :

And because of this, the ex could request a reassessment of their financial arrangement.

sfbradley86 :

The fact that you have no joint accounts and have no comingled any assets helps, though.

sfbradley86 :

And if you are not living together, you could argue that you do not contribute to her bills at all and are therefore not supporting her in any way.

sfbradley86 :

Please let me know if I can be of any further help. Feel free to contact me at any time.

Customer:

never received a response. Would like someone else to answer my question.

I'm sorry that you were unable to access the answer that I provided. Please let me be of more help. The fact that you two have not commingled any assets and have no joint accounts will be of help to you, but if you two are living together, it could be argued that you are contributing to your girlfriend's bills and, thereby, partially financially supporting her. Please let me know if you need anything further.