Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

This question is for Ely.....I filled out all my paperwork

to file as ex parte...
This question is for Ely.....I filled out all my paperwork to file as ex parte however, that not being the best option due to not being an emergency, I am unsure of how to address the other party needing to undergo a hair test since his urine test was "diluted sample"....without being ex parte can I still ask for him to undergo hair test and have results prior to court hearing?
1/2/2013
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and thank you for requesting me.

Remember, you do not have to file ex-parte. So it is your decision.

How an ex-parte works:
1) you file
2) the court hears your ex-parte request on the same date
3) it may grant it
4) the other party is served with the motions and an order (if granted)
5) the other party must abide by that order until a follow up hearing for temporary orders wherein the court may decide to drop/modify/continue the matter granted in the ex-parte once the other party has had a chance to respond and argue their side.

It is not the norm for the Court to grant an ex-parte drug test. Ex-parte orders are generally meant for emergency custody and restraining orders.

Someone cannot "cleanse" their body in the 2-3 weeks between an order for a drug test and the time they have to do it - the hair follicle can keep a record of narcotics for months.

Ergo, someone in your situation may simply wish to not request a drug test in the ex-parte, but until the next hearing (STEP 5, above) to do so.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and SUBMIT, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law

In the motion and order for temporary interim parenting plan, would it state in there that I am wanting a new drug test?

Hello friend,

Yes, you can include this in there, indeed.

First, I want to say that I will rate you later today once I go to the bank so I can leave a tip - I didn't want you to think I was ignoring that part.

So do I need to reference any MCA as I did for the ex parte or is that not necessary?

NO worries.

What do you mean by MCA?

like in my first ex parte order it said: Pursuant to Sections 40-4-213, MCA, the Court may adopt an Interim Parenting Plan under the standards of Sections 40-4-212 and 40-4-220(2)(ii), MCA before a hearing if the Court finds from the affidavits.......

and in the directions for filing a motion that I have it says to state any corresponding law that may be helpful.....

Oh, apologies, I understand now.

While you do not NEED to reference any specific MCA, it would be good to do so. At the very least, 40-4-212 (Best interest of child) should be referenced.
Ely, Counselor at Law

To file there is the Motion for Temporary Order of Interim Parenting Plan, and there is the Temporary Order for the Judge to sign, but is the Order to Show Cause separate from the Temporary Order or is that all together such as: Temporary Order Adopting Interim Parenting Plan And Order To Show Cause? What I am asking is the Order to Show Cause a separate order from the Order Adopting the Interim Parenting Plan? The first time it was all together but not being ex parte, maybe it is separate?

Perhaps:

Motion for Temporary Order of Interim Parenting Plan and Order to Show Cause - this is your motion.

Temporary Order Adopting Interim Parenting Plan - this is what the Judge has to sign.
Ely, Counselor at Law