How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28350
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Fl. where there are no Grandparents Rights. I paid

This answer was rated:

I live in Fl. where there are no Grandparents Rights. I paid an attorney $200.00 for consulation to be told there was nothing I can do. I see several things here, one my son passed way. I have not seen my grandchildren since 5/2012. They are 6& 8 they need me as much as I need them. Where do I go to court to get Mediation?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand your concern. Mediation would be something that the parent would have to agree to, unless ordered by the court. In an ideal situation, the parent would be willing to sit down with you and try to work this out, so you can play an active role in the lives of the two grandchildren. If you feel that the mother of the children is not capable of caring for them, you can always try and gain custody of them, attempting to terminate her rights. This is a very high burden and hard to do, so there would need to be clear evidence that the children are at risk if they are left with her and it is in their best interest, to be placed in your care and custody. I know what the attorney told you when you met with them for a consultation was not what you wanted to hear, but it is the truth. I am not sure if they provided you details as to why this is the case, so I have provided you with a link that explains the legal basis for it, in Florida, at this time.
As I stated above, for mediation to be ordered, there needs to be a pending matter before the court. For a matter to go before the Judge, there needs to be a legal basis to support it, so the case does not get dismissed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you