How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer Lori Your Own Question
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2161
Experience:  Divorce, custody and child support attorney.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawyer Lori is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife comments adultery and maybe pregnant from another

Customer Question

My wife comments adultery and maybe pregnant from another man
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawyer Lori replied 4 years ago.

Lawyer Lori :

Good morning. My name is Lori and I will be happy to assist you today. Could you please tell me what your exact legal question is - what are you trying to accomplish/find out?

Lawyer Lori :

It appears that we are having some difficulty with the Chat function so I will change to the Q&A format. Please use the REPLY button to continue this conversation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Am I able to receive compensation from my wife if she has a child from another man if we divorce
Expert:  Lawyer Lori replied 4 years ago.
In Georgia and under the conditions you describe you should be able to file for divorce under the no-fault ground that the marriage is irretrievably broken or under the fault grounds of adultery.

As part of the divorce, you would need to allege that the child is not your's to avoid being ordered to pay child support.

As for any compensation for her bearing another man's child or even committing adultery, there are no statutory financial grounds for financial compensation. However, this is a factor that the court could consider should she attempt to receive alimony/spousal support. In the distribution of marital property, property acquired during the marriage should be divided equitably between the parties. Generally, there is no provision for fault to be considered during the distribution.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information.