Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

are there penalties for lawyers who practice sexual activities

with married persons with refusal...
are there penalties for lawyers who practice sexual activities with married persons with refusal to stop? The attorney is the former secretary of state for new jersey Lonna R. Hooks.

They are licensed in new jersey and commonwealth of pennsyvania.
1/2/2013
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Where do you and your spouse live?

my husband and I live in Maryland and the attorney live in Washington DC

what is needed are you able to answer the question?

Thank you for the information:

Your Question: are there penalties for lawyers who practice sexual activities with married persons with refusal to stop? The attorney is the former secretary of state for new jersey XXXX

Response: There are no specific penalties for Attorneys for having affairs with married persons. I checked for the possibility of an alienation of affection lawsuit. However, both Maryland and Washington, D.C., have abolished those lawsuits. Nevertheless, having an affair is unethical conduct as explained in the comments Section of Pennsylvania Rule of Professional Conduct. See 204 PA Code Rule 8.4. New Jersey Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 8.4 takes the opposite interpretation. So, you may definitely consider filing complaint with Pennsylvania Attorney Discipline for investigation of the Attorney for possible discipline for misconduct. You may also file complaint with New Jersey Attorney Discipline as the comment section seems to imply that under some circumstances having an affair may be considered misconduct under the Professional Rule of Conduct:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/204/chapter81/s8.4.html

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/rules/apprpc.htm#x8dot4

PA Attorney Discipline:

http://www.padisciplinaryboard.org/faqs/attorneys.php

NJ Attorney Discipline:

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/oae/atty_disc/atty_disc.htm

I was busy researching your case.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law