How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34550
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a female friend who is Polish and currently lives there.

This answer was rated:

I have a female friend who is Polish and currently lives there. She married an American military (Army) man who has now abandoned her. He pays now spousal support and has been sent by the army back to the US. He is a Arizona resident but is stationed in Texas.

Her question is it possible to get some sort of financial assistance from him? What process does she need to go through in order to divorce him. They were married in 2010 just before he was deployed to Afghanistan.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am not sure I understand your question. You mention he pays spousal that accurate?

If so what is your question? You want to know if there is a way to force more support?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually no he does not currently pay any spousal support. Her questions are-

#1 as she currently is a polish citizen is it possible for her to do something to make him provide some form of spousal support? Wage garnishment etc?

#2 she is a polish citizen, he is a US citizen who is in the army and currently is stationed in Texas. She says though that he pays his state income taxes in Arizona where he is from originally.

Thank you for your help. Her English is not very good so I am trying to assist in helping her find answers to some of her question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, realized I hit send before finishing question #2. She wants to proceed with filling for divorce and wants to know if she should file in Texas or Arizona?

Thank you

Yes. There are a few things she can do.

She can go to court and ask the court to order support. The court has the power to do that, even with her in Poland. HOWEVER, she would need to hire a US lawyer and file this in the state he is a resident of...if he pays taxes in Arizona, she would need to file this in court in Arizona

But I stress she will need to hire a lawyer and will need to travel to Arizona for the hearings.

That would be expensive I expect.

The other option she has is to contact his commanding officer

Under military regulations he is required to provide her support. Here is the Army regulation that applies. If you look at Ch 2 you see it details the level of support he is required to provide.

Here is the link

She can contact his Battalion Commander and ask he be ordered to follow this regulation.

P. Simmons and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you