How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31731
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Kirk I think I wrote it out wrong my son is disabled not my

This answer was rated:

Kirk I think I wrote it out wrong my son is disabled not my ex and he is turning 22 this year and as far as I know he is receiving disability income and I wanted to know if the money he received is weighed against my child support to lower my child support as 600.00 a month is really making it impossible for me to plan for any chance of retirement and every time I go to court the judge rules in favor of my ex and ends up costing me more money so I want to get an idea if it would be a good idea to pursue this or leave well enough alone thanks.
Hi - sorry for the delay.

Generally, social security received by a child is not credited toward the child support obligation of a minor child. However, with an adult child, I can see your point.

A modification would be up to the judge when it pertains to an adult. If you could prove that the adult has income and that he doesn't need as much support from you as a result, then you certainly could make a case for a reduction.

I would recommend that you consult a local attorney about filing a motion to modify based on the specific facts of your case. A local attorney can review the specific facts and give you a much better prognosis about how this may turn out.
Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you