How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102505
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there any benefit or way to change which district court

This answer was rated:

Is there any benefit or way to change which district court my divorce? Currently in 150th district in bexar county tx.
Hello and thank you for requesting me.

Unless both you and the other party live OUT OF STATE, the original county holds jurisdiction. Assuming not, there is no way to change the Court; but there is a way to change the county, or, the Judge.

You may file a Motion to Change Venue in an attempt to switch counties based on the fact that you cannot get a fair hearing where you are now, however, most such motions fail. You'd really have to show a serious inability of the officials in the county to be fair to you.

You may file a Motion to Recuse Judge if you feel that the Judge is being unfair. This is under Texas Civ. Proc. Code RULE 18a and 18b.


(a) Grounds for Disqualification. A judge must disqualify in any proceeding in which:
(1) the judge has served as a lawyer in the matter in controversy, or a lawyer with whom
the judge previously practiced law served during such association as a lawyer
concerning the matter;
(2) the judge knows that, individually or as a fiduciary, the judge has an interest in the
subject matter in controversy; or
(3) either of the parties may be related to the judge by affinity or consanguinity within
the third degree.
(b) Grounds for Recusal. A judge must recuse in any proceeding in which:
(1) the judge’s impartiality might reasonably be questioned;
(2) the judge has a personal bias or prejudice concerning the subject matter or a party;
(3) the judge has personal knowledge of disputed evidentiary facts concerning the

However, a motion to recuse should not be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly, of course.

There is really no benefit in changing the judge or county unless you feel that you cannot get an impartial hearing.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and SUBMIT, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Ely and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you