How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31684
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad deeded the house to me after he made me his POA. This

This answer was rated:

My dad deeded the house to me after he made me his POA. This was 8 months before he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. The act caused a lot of hostility and bickering among siblings that I get so sick of it already. The house is made a residence by my brother who per our verbal agreement will not pay rent, but will pay his own utilities, the property tax and homeowners insurance. He had been delinquent on all counts and I have not idea if the house is current on homeowners insurance since brother refuses to communicate with me. I am evicting him very soon. Can I return the house back to my dad and report it as his additional asset? He has been using VA benefits to aid his Social Security Pension to live in a decent Home Care. His benefits will lower, I know and so be it. My siblings are driving me nuts. I don't really need the house. I am just fine.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Sorry for your troubles with this, and unfortunately this is not an uncommon situation.

To answer your question, yes you can deed the property back to your father. All you will need to do is have an attorney draft and file a deed memorializing the transfer.

It may be better to set up a trust for the benefit of your father, which will allow him to receive any benefit from the property, but keep it separate from his personal property for social security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.

You can discuss both options with a local attorney.

Roger and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Please let me know if you have any additional questions related to this issue. Also, please positively rate our conversation so that I may receive credit for my research and response.


Roger and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you