Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

my son became a dad @15 his son is now 7 we have paid for everything

since he was born,my son...
my son became a dad @15 his son is now 7 we have paid for everything since he was born,my son is now 23 & lives in maryland,he carries him on his insurance,provides all clothing shoes,food due to being a very picky eater,all school supplies,lunches the works.the childs mom has recently taken a job & now wants him to also pay for after school care does my son have to pay this???
12/7/2012
Roger, Attorney
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Is there a child custody or child support order in place?

No the only thing they have is the mom,the other grandmom,& my son share custody

Ok. If there's no court order requiring him to pay child support or any other expense, then technically he doesn't have to pay for after school care. However, if the mother were to file for custody and child support, he would be required to pay support - including a portion for child care - based on his income. However, until a court order is entered, he's under no legal obligation to pay.

they all share custody,he pays for all of his needs short of him living with him full time as we have him like I said every other weekend.should he stop paying these other things & just pay for afterschool care??

That's up to him. It's not illegal for him to do either one because there's no court order requiring him to do one thing or the other.

He probably doesn't want to be too pushy because it could force her to file for child support, which could end up costing him more than what he's paying now. There are online calculators that he could check to see. He could compare why he's paying now to what he could be required to pay.

Here's a calculator link: http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/new_jersey/

Thanks so much you have been a great help.

No problem. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for my time. Thanks.
Roger, Attorney
Roger, Attorney