How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be serving my husband divorce papers next week after

This answer was rated:

I will be serving my husband divorce papers next week after leaving an abusive marriage. He is volatile and aggressive when angry. He was also abusive (mainly emotionally, but did threaten to kill me with his gun once and often throws and breaks possessions. I dont know how he will take getting served. I moved out the house last week and am living with an elderly couple 2 hours away from my husband. I was reading about the different types of restraining/protective orders but I have no idea which one would be appropriate in my case , if I chose to get one. Basically I am scared of what he MAY do, but again, he may do nothing. But what I also do not want to deal with are his abusive texts, phone calls and emails that will surely follow. Please advise on which order would be most useful and that I wouldnt need to ever see him in a hearing for the order...

For your situation, you would be seeking a domestic violence restraining order. Such an order is appropriate when there is a domestic situation, such as a marriage, and there are allegations of violence or threats of violence. Based on the facts as you have stated them, this certainly appears to be the case here.


When you fill out your request for a restraining order, the judge signs off on it without a hearing. This is the temporary order. Then, within a few weeks, a hearing will be held on the temporary order. It is at this hearing when you will have the opportunity to present testimony and evidence to support your allegations and he will have the same opportunity to refute your allegations. If the judge finds your evidence more credible, he would then enter a permanent order.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you