How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I file for legal separation, how long does it take to be

This answer was rated:

If I file for legal separation, how long does it take to be granted. Can I buy a property while separated and my spouse not be entitled to any of it?? I live in KY, We have no children, and this will not be contested.

We also have everything joint accounts etc and we share insurance, I am currently on my wife's insurance and I'm self employed. My main concern is health insurance....
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

As long as your spouse will not object to the granting of legal separation, the court will grant the legal separation and it generally can take up to 60 days to finalize legal separation.

Any property that is acquired by your or your spouse would not be considered marital property, however you can still remain on your wife's insurance and also upon the expiration of one year from the time legal separation is approved, either you or your spouse can file for divorce and the court shall grant it.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you,


What is your advice for separating accounts and debt and assets?

Thank you for your follow up and for accepting my answer.

I cannot provide you with any type of legal advise, as that can only be done by your local attorney, but I can provide you with general legal answer.

Generally, most people would try to reach an agreement related to distribution of their marital assets prior to filing for legal separation.