How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I are going to get a divorce or legal separation.

This answer was rated:

My wife and I are going to get a divorce or legal separation. Retirement pay: half of her retirement pay is $400 and mine is $600. Does she have to give me an additional $100 to make it exactly 50/50 or do we just leave it as is? Our medical costs per month are around $600 which I have always paid. To continue medical coverage under separation does she have to pay 50% of the cost?

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

You and your wife may agree to any division of assets and debts. If you are unable to reach an agreement, the court will typically make a 50-50 split of assets and expenses

Ellen and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your business.

The site will be sending you a survey. The results of the survey are essential to my employment.

You will be asked in question #3 of the survey: "3. How likely is it that you would recommend your Expert to a friend?"

I would greatly appreciate it if you would answer "10". If for any reason you cannot answer "10" in response to question number 3, please tell me how I may further assist you.

As always, I am here to address follow-up questions at no additional charge.
I see that you rated my service as "OK" - although I appreciate the positive rating, is there something else that you wanted to know? It's my aim to provide excellent service.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I knew that we could divide any assets and debts as we choose and we don't want to go to court. So my original questions still stand because I need to understand your reply in more detail so my wife and I can come to agreement.

What is the length of your marriage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

21 years

Since both spouses are retired and ending a long-term marriage, typically the court would equally divide the assets and not award spousal support. The retirement funds are assets that would be subject to equal division. Therefore if the wife receives a total of $800 monthly and the husband receives $1200 monthly, the court would divide the retirement funds so that each spouse received $1000 monthly. Since the income and assets are equal, you would each be responsible for paying their own medical bills and insurance

Please let me know if this helps
Ellen and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you