How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37799
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if you owe child support can you travel out of the country?

This answer was rated:

if you owe child support can you travel out of the country? such as canada?
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion.

Unless the court has taken the unusual action of suspending your passport, the fact that you are not current with child support in no way interferes with your ability to travel outside of the US.

So as long as you physically have your passport, you are good to go, and you won;t be violating any laws.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time in assisting you. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and contact me with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to address your concerns to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Im currently out of the country but my ex took me to court while away and there is a bench warrant for me. How does that impact me going back or entering other countries?

Well Sandy, that may be problematic.

Depending on how long ago the warrant was issued, the issue is whether it made it into the national database yet. Sometimes it can take from 6 months to a year for the arrest warrant to appear in the database---sometimes it is quicker---there is absolutely no way to know in advance for sure. If it has hit the database already, then when you enter the country you may be detained by immigration while they determine whether the state wants to come pick you up on the warrant.

If you are concerned that the warrant may have hit the fed database already, you can hire an attorney to post bond for you with the criminal court where the warrant was issued, recall the warrant and allow you back in based on a promise to appear on your return---but that may be an expensive proposition.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

Until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be credited with helping you. Would you please rate me now, based on my assistance to you in understanding the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I believe your comment is for entering into united state but outside countries should not be affected?

That is for the most part correct---you will likely only have a problem entering the US. However, the US has begun sharing biometric data with Canada, and this may eventually get to Canada immigration authorities as well---so be aware of that.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if they do would canada has the right to detain since i am not canadian. My job want to send me there before going back to states
Canada might deny you entry---that would be about it.

LawTalk and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK thank you.

My pleasure! Have a great holiday season,


Related Family Law Questions