How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a stipulation that was part of my divorce decree. I

This answer was rated:

I have a stipulation that was part of my divorce decree. I am the alternate payee on my ex's QDRO. Am I limited to those rights that are only set forth in the Stipulation? There was no future cost of living increase in the Stiplulation, does that me I am not entitled to that in the QDRO?
All ERISA-qualified retirement plans are controlled by federal law. Neither the court, nor the parties themselves, can interfere with the retirement plan provisions as described in the Summary Plan Description or other retirement plan documents.

You can stipulate to whatever you want, but the QDRO itself, cannot demand from the Plan administrator, anything other than what the Plan allows. Thus, in order for you to be entitled to a cost of living increase, the plan would have to permit it -- otherwise, you cannot enforce your stipulation against the plan -- and neither can the NY Family or Supreme Court.

Your right to benefits is simply a share of what your ex-spouse is entitled to, according to whatever plan provisions apply you your ex-spouse's rights to the retirement benefits.

Thus, the answer is that you are only entitled to a cost of living increase, to the extent that your ex's plan provides cost of living increases to plan participants -- because what you receive is derived from your ex's rights in the plan.

You may want to review the Summary Plan Description for the retirement plan to see exactly what you're entitled to -- because that's the definitive document concerning the issue.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

socrateaser and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions