Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been paying child support for my son and daughter at

$400.00 each per month....
I have been paying child support for my son and daughter at $400.00 each per month. My son turned 23 Nov 28th, 2012. The divorce order was that I was to continue paying child support if was going to college. I have not taken the prorated stance, but continued to pay the full $400.00/mo all 12 months of the year. He is 23 now, I do not know if he finished college, is attending, and if while attending, if he was full time all of this time. I think it is time to stop since the military stops recognizing him as a dependent and he is no longer carried as my dependent for insurance reasons. Is it time to stop paying him child support?
Ben
XXX-XXX-XXXX
12/1/2012
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Dear JACUSTOMER- Yes it is time to stop supporting your adult child. You need to file a motion with the court for an order to terminate child support. Your order should have had an age limit as to when the support would stop, college or no college, but it's a bit late to sue an attorney for malpractice for that omission. I know of no court that would require you to pay child support for any adult child that is 23 unless thee was an issue of physical or mental handicap. So file your motion and ask the court to order the support terminated, school or no school.

I has suspected as much for a long time, but hope he would contact me.

Thank you. I will start the paper work.

Have a nice weekend.

Ben

XXX-XXX-XXXX

You too and thanks for using our service - Dave
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer