Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am engaged to my boyfriend, my son and I live here in the

state of florida and my...
I am engaged to my boyfriend, my son and I live here in the state of florida and my boyfriend lives in Omaha, NE. I am wondering how hard it will be to move out of the state, seeing as my sons dad has a criminal history, and my son doesnt have his last name nor is he on the birth certificate.
12/1/2012
Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney

I am a Florida family law attorney and I believe I can provide assistance. However, before beginning, I need a bit more information.

.

1. How old is the child?

.

2. Is there a court order establishing custody and visitation?

.

3. How frequently does the father spend time with his son?

.

Thank you.

The child is just alittle over 2 years old

Yes the court established every other weekend from friday at 6pm until Sunday at 6pm as well as every wednesday night from 6pm until thursday morning at 9am.

Thank you for the additional information, it was very helpful.

.

In Florida, for the custodial parent to move, they need either the other parent's consent or permission from the court. If the father will consent, then the move would be quite easy. As to obtaining permission from the court, you would need to demonstrate that the move will be in the best interests of the child. To do this, you would want to show that the new location has better schools, a better environment for the child, a more substantial support system or more opportunities, as examples.

.

I asked about the father's contact because this is relevant to the discussion as well. Ideally, he would not be exercising all of his visitation. If so, then this helps you as the move would have less of an impact on his contact with the child. If he is exercising all of his visitation, then the move would clearly have a significant impact on him and this would make the move more difficult.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney