How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117372
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can a person who is Catholic get an annulment with a guy

This answer was rated:

How can a person who is Catholic get an annulment with a guy who was married in a Baptist Church, had a child before marriage, felt the responsibility to get married because of the child, the marriage didn't last long. Now as a mother I want my daughter to get married in the Catholic church, they say he needs to get an annulment. My daughter is 28 he is 36 and she wanted to have a summer wedding and don't want to wait until the next summer when she will be 29. How can he get an annulment with at least 6months.
The Baptist church does not have annulments, so this is not possible as they would be the one that would have to issue the annulment. As far as a legal annulment, under KY law an annulment can only be granted for a marriage that was void or voidable, which means it was either invalid when entered into because of mental incapacity, not being of lawful age or because prior marriage was not dissolved or it was entered into based on fraud. Aside from these reasons the KY court cannot legally grant an annulment. Thus, legally and in the Baptist church an annulment cannot be obtained, it is just not possible I am afraid. I understand you would like the marriage in a Catholic Church and also how this "rule" is enforced varies from archdiocese to archdiocese and even from church to church in some jurisdictions, so you would have to check around to find a Catholic Church who will agree to perform the wedding or you would have to petition the archdiocese for a waiver since there is no legal or Baptist process to accomplish this.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions