How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118087
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a resident of of PA and have recd a wage garnishment order

This answer was rated:

I am a resident of of PA and have recd a wage garnishment order from Ky based on an alleged Ky 'support order'. The last time I attended a hearing in Ky was 10 years ago... I've been paying child support to Pa for 17 yrs. If indeed there is an order in Ky, would Ky not have had to collaborate with Pa based on UIFSA?
Yes, if KY issued a wage garnishment order, it would have to be recognized in PA for execution in PA and if it was not then you have grounds to object to the order. Also, if you have been paying, then you need to file an objection to the civil garnishment/collection order and provide proof of 1) lack of jurisdiction and 2) invalid debt based on your making continued payments through PA as ordered.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, Paul!
Yes, I have filed an 'affidavit to challenge garnishment' with the Ky court. This is just annoying the heck out of me, as I'd thought I was DONE with this woman.
There was no hearing in Ky... Simply guilty until proven innocent. My last 2 paychecks have been garnished significantly, just before the holiday season... Yeah!
I have reached out to an attorney in Ky, but am doing my due diligence.
Do you believe I have grounds for a countersuit of malicious prosecution / abuse of process?
Thank you for your assistance!
These cases never seem to end I am afraid, it is the last bit of revenge they can exercise to make your life miserable many times. KY, like every other state, has the right through their child support enforcement agency to enact a child support judgment and then the paying parent has to challenge them by going to court. You do not have grounds yet for malicious prosecution, you have to first show that she knew that you were paid up and she brought these charges intentionally despite knowing you paid and you have to succeed in the KY case first and if you do, then you could seek to file the malicious prosecution or harassment/abuse of process suit against her.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, you are indeed correct. This has always been an ugly separation, despite the both of us moving on with new families.
Thank you for your help. Have a good w/e my friend.
Thank you and same to you.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you