Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How do I declare my 20-yr-old son to be emancipated? He has…

How do I declare my...
How do I declare my 20-yr-old son to be emancipated? He has been living and working independently and away from home for 18 months. He now wants to go to college (he had very good SAT scores) but I am not going to support him until/unless he can prove he really wants that degree. He seems to think I am responsible for paying for his college.
Also, I understand that if he is emancipated, he will qualify for financial aid due to his income being much loess than mine and my wife's.
We will be willing to help if/when he needs and deserves it.
11/2/2012
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

William B. Esq. :

Hello, I would like to assist you with your legal issue today. Absent some special legal or medical issue, an individual is emancipated at the age of 18 in Delaware: 1 Del. C. 1953, § 701; 58 Del. Laws, c. 439, § 1.;

Customer:

I tried to reply a few minutes ago and your bot tried to charge me and start over. Does above response mean that my son -- no longer my dependent -- will/must be recognised as "emancipated" in all States as well as for Federal Financial Aid (for College)?

William B. Esq. :

I apologize for the problems with our technology program, I will make a technical report when we have finished our chat.

William B. Esq. :

Again, I cannot give you specific legal advice, but: an individual with no disabilities or other limitations, who is over the age of 18 in the state of Delaware is an emancipated individual by statute. There is no further action that needs to be taken. An individual over 18 may apply for student loans for college. I would refer any student to the Student Aid office for specific help with filling out these applications and whatever other information is necessary. If an emancipated individual is not living with their parents, they are not receiving support from them, and have no other source of income (usually this comes down to tax returns and claimed dependents, but again check with the financial aid office) there should not be an issue with imputed income from these parents.

William B. Esq. :

I hope I was able to answer your questions (if not please let me know, I will be more than happy to answer any follow up questions you may have). If I did answer your question, I would appreciate it if you would consider changing your rating for my response (as I said, I will report our technical error).

William B. Esq. :

I noted you have not replied or re-set your rating on this post. I just wanted to follow up and make sure that you were able to view my response following my report of the technical difficulty you experienced. Best regards.

Dear Dutch,

I do want to follow up on your earlier rating, if I can address any further issues or problems you may have, I would appreciate that opportunity. I truly do want to assist you with your legal issue and want this to be a satisfactory experience.

If your rating was due to the technical issue alone, I would ask that you review your rating and consider changing it based on my response as my service is evaluated based upon your input.

If you have any other questions regarding this please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
Bill
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Dear Dutch,

Thank you for allowing me to be of assistance with your inquiry regarding the age of majority in Delaware. If I can be of assistance with some future legal question please keep our service in mind.

Best regards,
Bill
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney