Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We had our marriage ceremony without getting a license. One…

We had our marriage ceremony...
We had our marriage ceremony without getting a license. One month later we got a license. Can we have the license signed by a witness and the officiate retroactively or do we need to have another ceremony?
11/2/2012
Tina, Lawyer
Hello and welcome,

A ceremony must typically follow the issuance of the license since the official who must sign the license cannot do so retroactively.

It need not be a formal ceremony, but must normally be witnessed and held by someone who is permitted by the state to officiate by state law.

Here is a link that provides information with regard to who is permitted to officiate such ceremonies in CA:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/pages/faqformarriagelicenseceremonyinfo.aspx

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time.

Kindly remember to rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Thank you very much and all the best to you,

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/

Are we legally married if we don't have another ceremony?

No, you would not typically be legally married until there is a ceremony and the official signs the license and registers it with the state. A ceremony, then obtaining a license is not enough for a valid marriage in California. In some states that recognize common law marriages it could be, but CA does not recognize such marriages as binding.

Tina, Lawyer