Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I WAS TOLD I WAS ADOPTED. NO ADOPTIONS PAPERS DO I HAVE. MY

Customer Question

I WAS TOLD I WAS ADOPTED. NO ADOPTIONS PAPERS DO I HAVE. MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE IN THE NAME OF MY BIO PARENTS. HOWEVER, I WENT TO SCHOOL UNDER THE NAME OF THE PEOPLE THAT RAISED ME. I TOLD SS ABOUT THIS THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO BECAUSE I HAVE TWO DIFFERENT SETS OF PARENTS. WHAT CAN I DO
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If I may ask, what exactly do you wish to accomplish, if possible? Are your adopted parents still living? How old are you at this time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I WANT ONLY ONE ID. PARENTS ARE DESEASED I AM AFRAID THAT FAMILY MEMBERS WOULD TAKE MY ID AND DO SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT.IT IS TO PROTECTMY PERONAL AFFAIRS. I AM 72 YEARS OF AGE. I KNOW I HOULD HAVE DONE THIS YEARS AGO. I WAS NOT AWARE OF WHAT TO DO OR HOW TO DO ANYTHING

Thank you for your follow-up, Annette.

Have you considered potentially applying for an ID under your other name, the original name that you never utilized? It is not the best solution but it may be the fastest. You can apply under your original birth certificate name, then once you get the ID, then you go to court and formally file for a name change, requesting that legally your name be changed to your current name. This will grant you a court order that you can take back to the Department of Motor Vehicles and from them re-apply for an ID that now has the correct name and last name that you have been using. I agree that it is a bit complicated, but I do not see the DMV allow you to obtain an ID where your name does not match the birth certificate.

Good luck.