How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I have been living with her mother for the last

This answer was rated:

My wife and I have been living with her mother for the last few months. I've paid her for letting us stay here, and she is now claiming that we've not given her anything and she wants us out of her house. I was wondering if its legal for her to just kick us out over night, or does she have to give us pepper notice?
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET, your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

You have the rights of a tenant. She has to give you a 30 day written notice to vacate the property. Then if you do not move she will have to file for a judicial eviction. Sorry that you are having this problem but she would have the right to properly evict you.
lwpat and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you