How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok..we are going to pre trial atty wants to do

This answer was rated:

Ok..we are going to pre trial atty wants to do a supplemental thingy to get divorce done quick..we have been seperated for a year... i asked that my maiden name be restored and my childs last name be changed to my surname... he said the court has no authority in this case to address this issue... REALLY?! how do i get it changed then?"
DearCustomer- the court has no authority to change your child's name without the consent of the father so you will have to apply to the probate court in your county for a name change for yourself but the child's name will remain the same. Many divorce judges will change a woman's name back to her maiden name but it would be up to the judge. The child's name is XXXXX XXXXX issue and that can only be changed with the consent of the father. Once the divorce is final you can file a petition with the probate court to have your name changed if you wish.
Dave Kennett and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you