How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

although we have been told he is a CI how can we find that

This answer was rated:

although we have been told he is a CI how can we find that out?

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Who told you that he was a confidential informant?

Please explain the circumstances.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A couple of men that were in prison told me that he was listed as the person that turned them in. Does that happen or am I being lied to? I do know he has been stopped by the police with drugs on his self and they let him go.

I'm sorry but I don't know who "he" is or what any of this is about. I can tell you that the police will not release the names of CIs if that is what you are trying to determine. If you want to explain the entire situation I may be able to provide more details.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

(He) is the father of my children. I am afraid that I wouldnt get a fair custody hearing if he (their father) is working for the police. I know that he doesnt get paid for what he does but when he is caught with drugs he is released. I dont want my children around him or myself for he is a drug user and abusive to me. I dont want my children growing up around him for I fear they will think that abuse is normal. I just want to get my kids and myself away from him and out of the state of NC. I want to do this right and legal for I dont want to lose my kids to him. He is a mean man to me and my kids. I just feel that he has the law on his side because he is an informant. I know the police wont release names of informants. I feel if we go to court they will favor him because he is turning drug users in. None of this is fair! I just want away from him and want my kids away from him. I am fearful for them and myself and I dont want to lose a custody battle to him. thank you for all of your help!

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Are you married to him?

Are there any court orders in place at this time for custody or visitation for the father?

Is there an active court case for custody or visitation?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I'm not married to him. no court orders in place at this time, no visitation or active court cases. I am currently living with him at his parents house.

Dear JAACUSTOMER - If there are no court orders in place you can leave and take the children anyplace you like. He has no legal rights as the father until he establishes them with the court. If either of you files a court case prior to you leaving then it may be very difficult to leave if there is a court order for visitation or custody in place. Whether he is a CI or not it should not affect a court's decision on custody since they use the best interests of the child as the standard and if he is involved with drugs and informing or whatever the court is not going to give him custody. But if he gets visitation then you will need the court's permission to leave the jurisdiction whereas until then you have a perfect right to move and go where you please. I wouldn't let him know your plans since he could file for a restraining order to keep you in the court's jurisdiction.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you