How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok..we are going to pre trial atty wants to do

This answer was rated:

Ok..we are going to pre trial atty wants to do a supplemental thingy to get divorce done quick..we have been seperated for a year... i asked that my maiden name be restored and my childs last name be changed to my surname... he said the court has no authority in this case to address this issue... REALLY?! how do i get it changed then?"
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET, your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

I think that you misunderstood. The court does have the authority to issue a court order that you can use to legally change your name back to your maiden name provided that you qualify. You can't use a name change to avoid creditors or law enforcement action.

However, the court in this action does not have the authority to change the name of your child unless the parties agree and make it a part of a settlement agreement.
lwpat and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this question was meant for DKENNEDY

I am sorry, did not mean to intervene. In the future, please note the particular expert in the subject line or either continue with him in your previous thread with that expert. All you have to do to find your previous thread is to click on "my questions" when you sign in. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I really apologize. I thought I put it under his name


Not a problem, glad I could assist and thanks for the rating.