Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

A judge in Hayward, CA ruled that I support my ex-wife $500/month

when I don't have any...
A judge in Hayward, CA ruled that I support my ex-wife $500/month when I don't have any income. Right now I owe her more than $5k and she's taking me back to court so that she can collect on Monday. Is there any way to get this ruling reversed since I had no income and had been looking for a job now for months? Thanks very much.
11/1/2012
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Hi, thanks for your inquiry! I have been practicing family law for 17+ years and have specific experience with issues like yours. That being said...

Is this alimony? Or child support?

------

Please note that I have not yet answered your question. That is because this is one of those times where additional information is necessary or prudent. I have requested this additional information from you in order that a most thorough and accurate answer may be provided and I look forward to your response. In the meantime, I will be researching any related issues as necessary for that thorough answer, to ensure that there are no recent legal changes that could effect my answer, as well as drafting portions of the answer for you. Thus, if you don't see my response right away, after you provide your reply, please don't be concerned. Once I respond, you should be getting an email notification (or other) so you can come back and receive that answer. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX look forward to assisting you.

Repeat reminder: Due to rules of our states, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information in order that you may have a starting point for helping yourself and and better pursuing the details you need. PLEASE ALSO KNOW THAT ANY ANSWERS FROM ME ARE POSTED ON THIS SITE AND NOT EMAILED TO YOU. I DO NOT KNOW YOUR EMAIL AND WILL NEVER EMAIL YOU MYSELF.

Spousal support. Our kids are grown up. She is unemployed but surviving without my support since Aug 2011.

My name isXXXXX and I have been a stage 4 (highest) professional lawyer with the Company for nearly 4 years, and enjoy giving top notch answers to all of my customers. While I am unable to represent you or give you specific legal advise, I can provide you with legal information you may wish to consider and review so that when you do consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction, you have a basis of knowledge.

Please DO remember to only rate my answer when you are quite satisfied with my diligence and effort in accordance with your chosen transaction. I aim to provide EXCELLENT SERVICE. Until then, please stop and REPLY to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the question concern you may still have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. AND, WHEN YOU DO RATE ME POSITIVELY, PLEASE SEND ME A REPLY LETTING ME KNOW YOU ARE DOING SO, SO WE CAN ENSURE IT GETS RECORDED. THANKS!

That being said, with regard to your post:

A judge in Hayward, CA ruled that I support my ex-wife $500/month when I don't have any income. If this is a NEW order, was there something in your decree that allowed for a LATER award of alimony? Or, was it an original order and you simply weren't paying, money being tight?

Right now I owe her more than $5k and she's taking me back to court so that she can collect on Monday. Is there any way to get this ruling reversed since I had no income and had been looking for a job now for months? You can appeal the ruling, if you do it in the limited time frame allowed by your local court rules - usually 20-30 days to file a notice of appeal, so make sure to abide by that. You can also look into filing a motion for reconsideration - but that time frame is typically even shorter and won't likely extend your time to file the appeal - so you don't want to blow the appeal. You can also file a motion to Stay the Order pending appeal.

Thanks very much.

Optional Information:
State/Country relating to question: California

Already Tried:
I tried begging the judge to reconsider. I am a realtor and have presented a statement of income from my broker that shows very little income this year not even enough for me to survive. OK, it is true that you will be expected to look for other kinds of work - be it a minimum wage job or not - since your current vocation is not doing so hot. This is particularly so if you have had poor income prospects for quite some time, i.e. you were on notice that your vocation was not enough to pay your bills... so we are expected to do something else to pay our bills, including any valid alimony award.

On average I had one closing every 6 to 7 months in the last 2 years. This is the problem :( It has been so long that the Judge probably thinks you should have proactively gotten other work by now - anything - to show good faith effort.

If my wife is not working we'll be homeless and hungry. I understand - it is a terrible economy, and I know how hard it is to secure work, but keep trying and take whatever it is, even that which does not meet your credentials.

I showed the judge the foreclosure of my house and the repossession of my car to no avail. You need to appeal, possibly, particularly if you presented proof of looking for any kind of work..... consider reviewing your state statute on alimony factors.... and see if the judge failed to consider all factors. You will want to get that transcript where the judge explains WHY, and see if you can appeal based on her lack fo explanation of what was considered that ruled her way.....

HELP....It will take time! Which you likely don't have, I know, but you can file that appeal and/or motion for reconsideration (both, and expect the latter to be denied because that motion is heard by the same judge :( but if you can point to the law the judge misapplied, sometimes they DO reverse themselves rather than be subject to appeals court reversing them.

I hope this helps, although I know it is a tough spot to be in.

Please know that I am in the wake of the Hurricane Sandy and have no power once I leave here, but I will check back with you tomorrow, when I can reach this power/and internet.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

-------

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know and we can interact further. Otherwise, I wish you the best and ask that you Rate me now. HINT: I aim to provide only EXCELLENT SERVICE and ask that you click a rating on the RIGHT side of the choices OR, follow up with me if you need more follow up or clarification. AND, WHEN YOU DO RATE ME POSITIVELY, PLEASE SEND ME A REPLY LETTING ME KNOW YOU ARE DOING SO, SO WE CAN ENSURE IT GETS RECORDED. THANKS!

You can ask for me directly in the future by starting your post with "To Alexia Esq." Or bookmark this page, and go to: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-AlexiaEsq/

Repeat reminder: Due to rules of our states, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information in order that you may have a starting point for helping yourself and presenting your issue to your lawyer if need be. I am an Attorney in the U.S. but I am not your attorney.

AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney