How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am an american citizen and i sepertated from my wife dec

This answer was rated:

i am an american citizen and i sepertated from my wife dec 1999 and moved to the dom.rep and have been living in the dom.rep since 2000 NOTE- not a legal seperation!! my question is can i get a divorce on my own without her knowing?? cause if i ask her she might make things more difficult for me.
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET, your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

Since you now are a resident in the Dominican Republic then you can get a divorce in that country. While she does not have to agree to the divorce, you do have to serve her with the paperwork. I am not sure how she could make it difficult since it has been so long that you have been separated. Her signature or agreement is not required.
lwpat and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you