Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I unknowingly signed a change of last name on my sons birth

I unknowingly signed a change of last name on my sons birth certificate. The mother said she wanted her name on it also so I said ok. 3 months later(oct. 07 12). I find out that she put her last name at the end after mine. So now all the earlier documents don't match. That is not what I agreeded to. ugh

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately, the documents that you signed are binding on you, unless she altered them after you signed them. The law unfortunately presumes that a person has read and agrees to everything in a document that he signs, and he cannot introduce evidence to the contrary. What that means is that the only way to have the child's name changed back is to go to court and ask the judge to approve it (I assume the mother wouldn't agree to just fix it, under the circumstances). You have to prove that the change is in the best interests of your child, and the mother will have the right to come to court and explain why she believes that it is not in the best interests of the child.

The state actually has a program that will help walk you through the process.
http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/civil/int_minornamechange.shtml

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX me a start and I feel that your service is a great first step for me thnx mark g.

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. I hope it works out.