How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29822
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I unknowingly signed a change of last name on my sons birth

This answer was rated:

I unknowingly signed a change of last name on my sons birth certificate. The mother said she wanted her name on it also so I said ok. 3 months later(oct. 07 12). I find out that she put her last name at the end after mine. So now all the earlier documents don't match. That is not what I agreeded to. ugh

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately, the documents that you signed are binding on you, unless she altered them after you signed them. The law unfortunately presumes that a person has read and agrees to everything in a document that he signs, and he cannot introduce evidence to the contrary. What that means is that the only way to have the child's name changed back is to go to court and ask the judge to approve it (I assume the mother wouldn't agree to just fix it, under the circumstances). You have to prove that the change is in the best interests of your child, and the mother will have the right to come to court and explain why she believes that it is not in the best interests of the child.

The state actually has a program that will help walk you through the process.

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX me a start and I feel that your service is a great first step for me thnx mark g.

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. I hope it works out.
Lucy, Esq. and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions