Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

my boyfriend is incarcerated and so is his ex wife. I have

full power of attorney, his...
my boyfriend is incarcerated and so is his ex wife. I have full power of attorney, his child is with her parents, can I go get him legally?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/1/2012
Who had custody granted to them in the divorce?

not available. Divorce is not final.

If there has been no custody order and if the children are with her parents, then the party who has the children in their physical custody in Louisiana has the rights to the children unless there is a court order granting your boyfriend visitation or custody rights. Thus, even with the PoA, you would not have rights to just go and get the children, he would have to have a custody/visitation order before you could step in and exercise his rights under the court order unless her parents are willing to allow you to take them for visitation. This could get messy without a court order and if you do not wait for one you could get charged with kidnapping if you just go and get them even as POA.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer