Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in california and my ex spouse left to Texas. I want…

I live in california and...
I live in california and my ex spouse left to Texas. I want to file for divorce and obtain visitation and/or custody of my children. She left to texas 2 months ago. If I file in CA how can I reqwuire her to come to CA for the court hearings?
11/1/2012
Yes, if you reside in CA, you can file for divorce in CA and the CA court will take jurisdiction over the divorce. As far as custody, this is much more complex if she has established residency in Texas already for 6 months. If she has been there with the children for 6 months, then the CA court could decline to rule on the custody matter based off of the children being residents of Texas and they could issue the divorce but force you to file any custody or child support issues in Texas.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”