How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How would I go about adopting an adult? I had established a

This answer was rated:

How would I go about adopting an adult? I had established a mother/son relationship with this person when he was 9 years old. Circumstances prevented me from adopting him at that time. He is now an adult and I would still like to officially become his mother.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Is there any specific reasons why you want to adopt this adult person?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have loved this person as my own son since he was 9 years old. We lost contact for a number of years but it never diminished my love or my yearning to be his mom. We found each other again this summer and I still want to be his legal mom. It's an emotional thing. He is 42 and has a family of his own. And he lives in another state. That's really it.

What state is this potential adoptive son liven in?

The reason I need to know because that is the state that I would need to check the law in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

West Virginia

Dear XXXXXty,

I would recommend that you consult and retain a local West Virginia Adoption Attorney to help you with an adoption in West Virginia.

Because your potential adoptive child is over 18, he will not need any type of consent from his biological parents, but you will need a written consent from the potential adult adoptive child.

West Virginia law provides, with respect to the adoption of adults: "Any adult person who is a resident of West Virginia may petition the circuit court or any other court of record having jurisdiction of adoption proceedings for permission to adopt one who has reached the age of eighteen years or over, and, if desired, to change the name of such person.

The consent of the person to be adopted shall be the only consent necessary.

The order of adoption shall create the same relationship between the adopting parent or parents and the person adopted and the same rights of inheritance as in the case of an adopted minor child. If a change in name is XXXXX XXXXX adoption order shall so state." W. Va. Code §48-22-801.
Alex J. Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you