How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3459
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can i give up parental rights on a unborn child. I was

This answer was rated:

How can i give up parental rights on a unborn child. I was dating a girl for about a year and she secretly stop taking her birth control and told me she was pregnant. We agreed to have an abortion which i gave her the money for and she told me 3 months later that she didn't get an abortion and threatens to take me to court for child support once the child is born. What can i do about this if anything and is it possible to give my parental rights up?

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.


SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, the State of Virginia will not allow you to just give up your rights. You're the father and are therefore responsible for the child. The only situation a court would allow you to voluntarily give up your rights is if the child was adopted by the child's current spouse.



So regardless of her doing this against my will, I have to live with this and be held responsible? There is no justice in this, it feels like being raped and paying for it. thank you for your assistance. I wish there was something that could be done or at least for the courts to protect me as I am being taken advantage of. Either of us are from Va. she live there at the moment because she is in the military. do that matter? she will most likely have the child in New York


SoloLawyer :

This is pretty much the same for all states. The law presumes you knew what you were doing. Also, states have an interest in children being taken care of. You will be liable for child support until the child is 18 or has been adopted by another parent.


SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry for the bad news. If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,




I definitely am satisfied with your response. its not your fault. Thank you.

Michael J, Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions