Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

How can i give up parental rights on a unborn child. I was

dating a girl for about...
How can i give up parental rights on a unborn child. I was dating a girl for about a year and she secretly stop taking her birth control and told me she was pregnant. We agreed to have an abortion which i gave her the money for and she told me 3 months later that she didn't get an abortion and threatens to take me to court for child support once the child is born. What can i do about this if anything and is it possible to give my parental rights up?
10/17/2012
Michael J, Esq.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, the State of Virginia will not allow you to just give up your rights. You're the father and are therefore responsible for the child. The only situation a court would allow you to voluntarily give up your rights is if the child was adopted by the child's current spouse.

Customer:

So regardless of her doing this against my will, I have to live with this and be held responsible? There is no justice in this, it feels like being raped and paying for it. thank you for your assistance. I wish there was something that could be done or at least for the courts to protect me as I am being taken advantage of. Either of us are from Va. she live there at the moment because she is in the military. do that matter? she will most likely have the child in New York

SoloLawyer :

This is pretty much the same for all states. The law presumes you knew what you were doing. Also, states have an interest in children being taken care of. You will be liable for child support until the child is 18 or has been adopted by another parent.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry for the bad news. If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

Customer:

I definitely am satisfied with your response. its not your fault. Thank you.

Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer