Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

I recently left my boyfriend and he is refusing to give me

I recently left my boyfriend and he is refusing to give me my dog. He is registered to me and so is the chip that is in his shoulder. How do i get him back?

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. You mentioned both of the remedies in this case in your question: police or legal action. I do not believe the police would be the right agency to help you here - because you were boyfriend/girlfriend and he didn't "steal" the dog, a crime probably did not occur. However, since you can prove that you own the dog, a civil action against him would probably be successful. You would need to file a claim against him in your local small claims court and ask for the dog to be returned. At your hearing, you can show the Judge the proof that the dog is registered to me and your name shows in the chip in his shoulder. This should be plenty of evidence that the dog belongs to you and he should be returned to you.

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

Customer:

I have limited means because I just moved. Can I file the claim myself? Or do you think it will require an attorney. It seems pretty cut and dry to me. If I called my local sheriff office do you think they would simply escort me with my paperwork to get him? That would definitely save me a lot of headache and expense.

SoloLawyer :

Small claims court is for individuals like yourself to file. The cost should be less than $100 and you're correct that it should be cut and dry. No, your Sheriff's office can not do anything until you have a legal order from the court.

Customer:

Thank you very much. You were very helpful. Have a great day!

SoloLawyer :

You too! I hope you get him back!

Customer:

Oh....sorry, one more thing. Do I need to call the county I live in or the city?

SoloLawyer :

Small claims court would most likely be the county.

Customer:

Ok, thanks

SoloLawyer :

No problem.

SoloLawyer :

Good luck!