How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118269
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am unemployed and not qualified for probono or legal aid. so left with no choice but to

This answer was rated:

i am unemployed and not qualified for probono or legal aid. so left with no choice but to do pro se divorce filing. Are there any lawyers who for very less fee guide me thorugh the process.
Husband wont agree to uncontested divorce, basically wont sign papaers for teh same
I am afraid that attorneys to assist you with this when you do not qualify for legal aid or pro bono assistance are very hard to come by, especially if he will not agree to an uncontested divorce. However, all is not lost, actually the court in Fairfax VA put out a very good pro se divorce guide and even if you are not in Fairfax you can use everything in the guide to file your own divorce without an attorney, you just have to change the court name to your city/county court. See: Fairfax VA Pro Se Divorce Guide. This guide will also help you through the process and even though it is designed specifically for Fairfax, the process throughout the commonwealth is essentially identical.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Paul for teh response.

Yes I have read it earlier, just a bit nervous still. Have no children, only a maritail home and it is on sale now for 2 mths almost.


He agrees to all insurances and IRA ( at least verbally to be separate) i.e each keep theirs to themselves.


We have been sleeping separate for almost 2 yrs. but have no documented proof of it except friends can help on it. for past few mhts all finances and everything is totally separate.

He will not hire a lawyer and dont think contest it either. His intention is just to harass me and delay the process. As he has a bankcrupty on his name only. So he benefits a lot from this marriage than I do in all aspects.

I understand being nervous, but that packet is about as comprehensive as you will get without either getting an attorney or going to the local law school and getting them to assist you completing the forms to file. You need to take a deep breath and follow the guide as much as possible and if you get stuck and have specific questions you can ask here or you can go to your local law school and speak to one of the people in their law clinic for assistance on specific questions (since you are just asking for information most times they will assist you). Unfortunately, because of the lack of availability for low cost legal services in the family law area, I am afraid your options are fairly limited here and I do apologize.
Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi I am here at the court house and they told me at the counter that the Pro se packet is not for contested divorce, ... which is online Fairfax county.


they gave me VS-4 form, domestic Case coversheet, what else do I need and what do I do?

they said to consult a lawyer...


You said he was not going to fight the divorce, so if he does not answer the divorce it becomes pretty much an uncontested divorce. The only difference for the contested divorce is filing the petition and serving him with a copy of the petition and summons and he has to then file an answer and if he does not answer in 21 days, you file a motion for default judgment of divorce, which is where the court issues you everything you asked for in your petition. Once you fill out the cover sheet, you need to get a summons from them too and you need to serve him a copy of all of the divorce packet and the summons to respond to the court.