How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has never seen her father. He has never supported

This answer was rated:

My daughter has never seen her father.
He has never supported us, and no intention to do so in the future as well.
He is outside of US, and don't have any reach.
I would like to file the petition that he doesn't have any right toward her in case something happen to me.
How could I do that?
Thank you for your question.

Just to be clear, the father is listed as such in the birth certificate, correct? How old is the child now? Is there a legitimate worry that the father is ever going to come to the US?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is in Austria.

He is listed as father in Birth Certificate.

My daughter is 12 years old.


He has been talking to his friends that he will support her.

(which never occured)

I have no intention to let him have her.

I have family in Japan, and she should raised by true family

in case something happen to me.

This is my intention.


Thank you for your follow-up, Yoshi.

Under U.S. law you cannot take away his parental rights unless and only unless you get someone else to formally adopt your child and in that process sever her biological rights to her. Beyond that all you need to file in the US is a petition for 'sole custody', as that will give you formal physical and legal custodial rights. You already have those rights because the child resides with you and are maintaining her needs as well as making all legal decisions, but the order will formally solidify those rights in one document. As for essentially taking away the parental rights, that is not possible without an adoption by someone else. In terms of making your intention known as to whom you wish to care for and provide for your child, consider creating a will where you can writing all your final wishes and orders for your family to follow, should you end up passing away before your child becomes an adult.

Good luck,

Dimitry K., Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you