How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29817
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a USA citizen and my 6 year old son is too. We live in the

This answer was rated:

Im a USA citizen and my 6 year old son is too. We live in the Dominican Republic. My son's father is a Cuban nationalized USA citizen living in Miami, FL. He has never helped financially with our son. Can I claim for child support from here or do I have to be in the USA to do so?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

There may be a slight delay in response time, as I may be helping with other questions or I may be away from the computer. I will answer any follow-up questions as soon I can.

You can file for child support in the Florida courts while living in the Dominican Republic. You do not have to be physically located in Florida, as long as the father is there. However, you will have to show up in the court in Florida for the hearing, so you'd need to travel at least once. Because the father lives in Florida, you can see if the state will help you collect support from him.

If for some reason they aren't able to help, this site has the forms and instructions that you would need to file the case.

Please rate my service before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - if not, please click "reply" so that we may continue the conversation. Good luck.
Lucy, Esq. and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You say I can file for child support from the Dominican Republic, but where do I do that? Online?

On the Department of Revenue's website, it says to call them to request an application. It unfortunately doesn't look like something you can request online. Which number to call depends on where he lives.