How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married for 26yrs, am 67 and currently receiving alimony

This answer was rated:

I was married for 26yrs, am 67 and currently receiving alimony and working. I want to retire within a year and my income will drop to 22,000 without alimony. I have a court pretrial date of 10/09/12. My X wants me to agree to a onetime payment of $15000. and agree to stop all alimony. I was going to agree at first but I have second thoughts knowing that in 2013/march he cannot take me back to court until 2015.

I do make enough money this year to take a reduction in alimony but should I do this or take his offer?

Of course, this is a decision only you can make. However, I suggest it does not appear to be to your advantage to stop the alimony.

Things you need to consider are - his age. When will he stop working, will he still be able to make alimony payments if he retires or has to stop working otherwise - if you are concerned that he may have reason to end all payments then, of course, you should seriously consider a "buyout" That does not have to be the $15,000. It can be an amount that is calculated based on your life expectancy and how much you will need to live comfortably once you retire.

If you want to do a buyout, then I suggest you can consider countering his offer which something more appropriate. You are still young and may have a lot of years left.

Please note that if you need more information, you can use the Reply to Expert to Continue the Conversation. Otherwise, I would appreciate positive ratings so that I get credit for my time and information. This will NOT close your question. It will remain active for future follow ups.

If you cannot see where to Rate me, please let me know so I can report it to the administrators of the site.

Thank you
Samuel II and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions