How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriends divorce judgement is stipulating that while

This answer was rated:

My boyfriend's divorce judgement is stipulating that while his daughter is visiting him, he can have no one staying with him other than a person related by blood or marriage. What are my options? What if we decide to live together? Does this not infringe upon my constitutional rights?
Dear JACUSTOMER - This has nothing to do with Constitutional rights. There is nothing in the US Constitution that guarantees anyone the right to live with someone and the courts have the power in domestic relations cases to regulate who can be in contact with children so long as the regulation is reasonable. So the best way to solve the problem is to simply marry your boyfriend and then you can move in with no interference from the court. The courts are concerned for the rights of children and the confusion of people moving in and out of the home is something they are trying to avoid since the kids have already gone through the trauma of a divorce. So the court is interested in the best interests of the kids, not the best interests of the parents or their girlfriends or boyfriends. Your boyfriend will have to choose between you and kids unless he wants to commit to marriage.
Dave Kennett and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you