Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can a soepena be served on the dy of or day before court d

ate--...
Can a soepena be served on the dy of or day before court d ate--
10/1/2012
Yes, the court may order such late service of a subpoena. The party receiving such late notice may object to the subpoena based on lack of "reasonable notice," which is required by the CA Code of Civil Procedure Section 1987(a). The code does not specify any number of days, it just states "reasonable notice" which could be the day before or even the day of a trial, depending on the circumstances and the court's discretion.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

I am a Therapist who has been working with a child who has been in the middle of and 11 year volitile custody suit. I learned on Friday that one of the parties believed I had been soepened to appear on Tuesday--I have not yet been served but have every reason to believe now that I will be. Although they have offered to place me "on call for 4 !/2 hours, I cannot place my patients on call thus must cancel 5 patients. Do I have any recourse or should I appear when I get served

Your recourse would be to file an objection to the court for the subpoena or avoid service of the subpoena (which would be difficult to do). If you are actually served a subpoena, legally you have to appear or file a written objection based on lack of reasonable notice as required by the statute.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer